Starting in March 2020, Huffman and Huffman will be the first and only practice in the state to offer patients the FDA approved therapeutic treatment for progressive keratoconus. Avedro was FDA approved to stabilize the shape of the cornea and prevent progressive loss of vision in these patients, thus potentially avoiding the prospect of a corneal transplant in the future. Avedro is a special solution of Riboflavin or Vitamin B2 that is used along with UV light to crosslink collagen and stiffen the cornea.
Is Cross-Linking Right for Me?
Benefits to Patients
- This is the only FDA approved therapeutic treatment available for progressive keratoconus and corneal ectasia
- The procedure can limit the progression of disease by stiffening the cornea
- The clinical benefits are a reduction in maximum corneal curvature
- The procedure takes about 2 hours, is done within the office, and most patients return to work and normal activities within 24-48 hours
- The procedure is deemed “medically necessary”, which means the evaluation, surgery and post-operative visits will be processed through your medical insurance.
If you have any questions regarding Corneal Collagen Cross-Linking, or if you think you may benefit from this procedure, please contact us today.